Indian Institute of Science had always recognised the role of international relations in improving the global outreach of its faculty and students and, hence the Office of International Relations (OIR) was constituted in the year 1998. Since its inception, OIR has been overseeing all the international programmes of the Institute, that includes:
- To coordinate all the exchange/visiting programs for students, faculty and researchers for the cooperation in education and research.
- To facilitate the admission of international students to various programmes of the Institute [B.Sc. (Research), M.Sc., M.Tech. (Course and Research) and Ph.D.] and disseminate the information with foreign institutions and embassies for its wider advertisement.
- To coordinate the visit of IISc delegation to foreign universities to strengthen our existing collaborations and finding new partners.
- Formulation and execution of the Memoranda of Understanding (MoU) and agreements between IISc and institutions abroad.
- To liaise between international students/researchers and their sponsoring agencies for any support required.
- To provide any kind of assistance to all the international students and researchers, including their campus accommodation and local transport.
- To provide all the required documents and support letters for the registration with FRRO/e-FRRO.
- To facilitate the networking by connecting the newly admitted students to the Institute’ international students and student council.
- To organize orientation program for all the international students at the time of their Institute admission, during which new students can interact with the OIR committee, staff and other international students on campus.