1. What are the eligibility requirements for admission into the Bachelor of Science’ Program at IISc?
Please refer to the Eligibility section above
2. Which subject groups are mandatory at the II PUC/12th STD level for admission to the UG program at IISc?
The Bachelor of Science (Research) Programme is open to students of PUC/12th standard whose main subjects include Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics (all three). Students who have studied Biology, Economics, Electronics, Computer Science, Statistics, etc., should also have taken Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics.
3. What are the different modes of applying to the programme?
Candidates must apply on-line. Online application may be prepared and submitted by accessing IISc-OIR website: http://oir.iisc.ac.in . Please refer to the Instruction manual for Application at this document.
4. Is SAT/ACT a qualifying exam for the entrance into undergraduate program for International students.
Yes, apart from the merit lists of the national level entrance exams such as KVPY, IIT-JEE (Main and Advanced) and NEET, International students looking forward to apply for the Bachelor of Science (Research) Program can take SAT/ACT exam.
5. What is the cut-off score for SAT/ACT to get the admissions in UG Program at IISc?
There is no set cut offs. The cut off scores for various qualifying exam, at IISc varies every year depending upon various factors like availability of seats, reserve categories, number of candidates applied, etc.
The cut off lists are made available online (generally released after all qualifying exams declare their result) on IISc website.
6. What are the types of SAT exam one has to take up to qualify for the UG admissions?
Both SAT and SAT Subject Test scores are required for application; the essay part of SAT is not required.
7. Is there an application fee for applying?
There is no application fee for International Students.
8. Is there an NRI quota?
No, there is no NRI quota for admissions at IISc. The candidate has to either qualify for International admissions or regular. For OCI card holder, kindly refer to the eligibility section.
9. Are OCI candidates considered as International students?
Please refer to the eligibility section.
10. I am having technical difficulties in filling up the application form, whom should I contact?
Please contact: email@example.com
11. I do not qualify for the International category, how do I contact the regular IISc admission cell?
You may contact the Dean, Undergraduate Studies (firstname.lastname@example.org) or the Assistant Registrar (Academic) here.
1. I looked at the eligibility for the research programs, they mention B.E./B.Tech./M.Sc., the degree currently I am possessing/pursuing is not B.E./B.Tech./M.Sc., so what should I do?.
It should be equivalent to B.E./B.Tech./M.Sc., which essentially means post 10+2 (high school), if the qualification is B.E./B.Tech. that means you should have major in the subject area mentioned and duration of your bachelors program should have been 4 years. If the qualification is M.Sc. that means you should have major in the subject area mentioned in the master’s program and duration of masters program should be for 2 years, which is preceded by 3 years bachelor’s program.
2. Is having standard test score preferred for the research program?
Yes. It is only preferred (not mandatory).
3. What will be the fees structure for the research program?. Will I receive scholarship/stipend per month?
Currently, the total fees will be around Rs. 32,600/- (subjected to change as approved by the Dean) for one year of study excluding hostel. In case you want to avail the hostel (student accommodation), an additional amount of Rs.45,000/- (Rupees Forty Five Thousand only) should be paid, Rs.20,000/- towards refundable hostel deposit and Rs.25,000/- towards advance payment of Mess and Room Rent for first five months.
All admitted research program students will receive a scholarship/stipend. For M.Tech. (Research), it is Rs. 12,400/- per month. For Ph.D., it is Rs.31,000 for first 2 years and Rs.35,000 from 3rd year till end of 5th year
(subject to passing the comprehensive exam)
4. I am having technical difficulties in filling up application form, whom should I contact?
Please contact: email@example.com
5. What is the difference between M.Tech course and M.Tech. (Research) program?
M.Tech.(research) is a thesis based degree program with a strong research component (it was earlier known as M.Sc. (Engg.) program), where as M.Tech. course program is a degree program that is by course work with a project dissertation. The duration of M.Tech. course program is strictly 2 years. The duration of M.Tech. (research) is between 1-3 years with average duration being 2.5 years. Also M.Tech. course program along with eligibility degree program, it requires the applicant to have standard test scores (GRE/GRE Subject/GATE)
6. Will TOFEL/IELTS will be considered as standard test score?
Yes, TOFEL/IELTS both are considered as a standard test, however are not mandatory but preferred for admission into research programmes.
7. Can I apply for both Course and Research Admissions?
8. Is there a separate application for M.Tech. (Research) and Ph.D. programs?
No. They both are considered as part research program, it will be same application. The department while interviewing candidate might decide on what program is best suited for the student.
9. Which Departments offer M.Tech. (Research)?
The programs and eligibility is available here. Under each tab, (for example if you see under Electrical Communication Engineering (EC)), the research programs are listed (for EC case it is Programme: Research [Ph D / M Tech (Research)]). Only those departments which have M.Tech. (Research) listed will offer M.Tech. (Research).
10. Is there an application fees?
It is waived for international students.
2019-2022 Office of International Relations, IISc, Bangalore